San Diego “Script Tease of
Short Plays” Competition
2019 Winners Announced
1. First Place ($200): DEVIL-IN-A-BOX by Tori King Rice
2. Second Place ($150): LAST RAYS OF THE DAY by Grant Gelvin
3. Third Place ($100): ROBBERY by California Jack Cassidy
Three additional entries were named as Honorable Mentions. Thanks to the generosity of an anonymous donor, each Honorable Mention will be awarded $50:
STUCK IN THE CLOSET by Roy Sekigahama
THE SUM OF SISTERHOOD by Lisa Balderston
NOT MY TYPE by Peter Mitsopoulos
The plays will be read at one of the organization’s upcoming readings, which take place on bi-weekly Friday evenings, beginning in September.
Competition is now closed. Sign up for our newsletter so you won't miss it next time.
Six cash prizes:
First Place: $200
Second Place: $150
Third Place: $100
$50 each to top three Honorable Mentions
1. Open ONLY to playwrights residing in San Diego County.
2. Short 10-minute or one act plays only. Maximum length: 30 pages. (No musicals or children's theater.)
3. Deadline: July 1, 2020.
4. No entry fee. Each entrant may submit up to three short plays.
5. The top three prizewinners are guaranteed a reading by The Scripteasers. These readings may of necessity be on line rather than in person. With that in mind, we would request that the playwright be "present" online for such a reading. We hope that we will have in-person readings and that you are able to attend.
6. Scripts not selected for cash awards but deemed particularly noteworthy by the judges may be selected for a reading.
7. Please note: do not submit your script(s) unless you are able to attend the reading in Fall 2020 (on a mutually agreeable Friday evening), be it online or in person. If your play wins, you MUST be "present" in order to receive your prize. (Sorry, no exceptions.)
8. Entries are judged anonymously.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES, PLEASE READ CAREFULLY: Please submit your entry(s) via email to email@example.com, with the subject line "SCRIPTEASE 2020" and include the following FOUR items in MS Word or PDF, in FOUR SEPARATE FILES:
1) Cover page with title of play, writer name and best contact info, including San Diego county address and email address
2) Anonymous text of script, including title, in proper script format*
3) Short playwright bio (approximately 150 words)
4) Short play summary (no more than 200 words)
Confirm receipt of your submission and treat your work with respect.
Notify you of the results of the competition in September 2020.
Work with selected playwrights to arrange a convenient reading date.
Small Print Department:
Competition is open only to playwrights residing in San Diego County.
Plays that have been previously produced or published are not eligible. Plays previously submitted to or read at Scripteasers are not eligible.
Only one cash prize per author.
Scripts must follow standard dramatic formatting.*
Scripteasers reserves the right not to award a prize if in its opinion no submission is worthy.
Questions? Contact We look forward to receiving your submission!
*For samples of standard dramatic formatting, google "Gordon State College playwriting format" or "playwriting format."