San Diego “Script Tease of
Short Plays” Competition
Next Deadline: CONTEST IS CURRENTLY CLOSED. WILL OPEN MAY 2020.
Six cash prizes:
First Place: $200
Second Place: $150
Third Place: $100
$50 each to top three Honorable Mentions
1. Open ONLY to playwrights residing in San Diego County.
2. Short 10-minute or one act plays only. Maximum length: 30 pages. (No musicals or children's theater.)
3. Deadline: July 1, 2019.
4. No entry fee. Each entrant may submit up to three short plays.
5. The top three prizewinners are guaranteed a reading by Scripteasers.
6. Scripts not selected for cash awards but deemed particularly noteworthy by the judges may be selected for a reading.
7. Please note: do not submit your script(s) unless you are able to attend the public reading in San Diego in Fall 2019. If your play wins, you MUST attend in order to receive your prize. (Sorry, no exceptions.)
8. Entries are judged anonymously.
9. To facilitate this, please submit your entry(s) in the following three documents:
A) Script: do not include your name on any page of the script. Include the following contact information on the title page only: name, snail mail, email, phone number.
By MS Word , or by PDF – you must submit two documents: (i.) One document containing only the title page with contact information. (ii.) Second document with the play text and a title page containing no contact information.
B) Synopsis and Author Bio in a separate document. (Information will not be shared with the judges.)
C) put SCRIPTEASERS 2019 in the subject line of your email and send to:
Confirm receipt of your submission and treat your work with respect.
Notify you of the results of the competition in September 2019.
Work with selected playwrights to arrange a convenient reading date.
Small Print Department:
Competition is open only to playwrights residing in San Diego County.
Plays that have been previously produced or published are not eligible. Plays previously submitted to or read at Scripteasers are not eligible.
Only one cash prize per author.
Scripts must follow standard dramatic formatting.*
Scripteasers reserves the right not to award a prize if in its opinion no submission is worthy.
For more information, contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to receiving your submission!
*For samples of standard dramatic formatting, google "Gordon State College playwriting format" or "playwriting format."
2019 Winners Announced
1. First Place ($200): DEVIL-IN-A-BOX by Tori King Rice
2. Second Place ($150): LAST RAYS OF THE DAY by Grant Gelvin
3. Third Place ($100): ROBBERY by California Jack Cassidy
Three additional entries were named as Honorable Mentions. Thanks to the generosity of an anonymous donor, each Honorable Mention will be awarded $50:
STUCK IN THE CLOSET by Roy Sekigahama
THE SUM OF SISTERHOOD by Lisa Balderston
NOT MY TYPE by Peter Mitsopoulos
The plays will be read at one of the organization’s upcoming readings, which take place on bi-weekly Friday evenings, beginning in September.